“‘Twas the week before Stroll, and all through the land, people were organizing, their holiday plans.”
That’s right, it’s that time of year. Time to break out your Christmas light necklace, don your antler headband, and take to the cobblestones to celebrate Nantucket Christmas Stroll. Viewed as the last hurrah of the island season, Stroll weekend brings with it super sales at local shops, last-chance dining at some of your favorite restaurants, and no shortage of holiday cheer. This year’s festivities are no exception and we’ve rounded up some of our must-do’s and must-see’s for the special occasion.
SEE + DO
• Oh Tannenbaum… While the November 30th Preview Party for the Nantucket Historical Association’s famed Festival of Trees might be sold out, you have plenty of chances to enjoy the sparkle and shine of the Whaling Museum. Open Friday – Sunday of Stroll weekend during starting at 10 A.M., make sure this stop is on your list as you meander through downtown.
• Ho ho ho… Santa lands on Nantucket! Kids and adults alike will feel a rush of excitement in seeing Saint Nick arrive on the shores of Straight Wharf Saturday. For a little something extra, meet up with the Town Crier at 11:45 A.M. on Main Street and join the processional to Straight Wharf to greet the big man himself.
• The world’s a stage… and Nantucket is at the center of it all. This Stroll weekend, both White Heron Theatre Company and Theatre Workshop are bringing the holiday heat with their respective performances of It’s a Wonderful Life: Live Radio Show and The Sound of Music. So be sure to take a break from your sipping and shopping and slip a little culture into the weekend!
DRINK + DINE
• Nothing says the holidays quite like fireside dining… For a cozy meal by a roaring fire, you can’t beat Atlas. This mid-island hot spot, complete with special holiday-inspired cocktails and a special post-dinner performance by Foggy Roots on Stroll Saturday, is the perfect place for a romantic evening or girls night out.
• Stroll weekend often represents last chance-dining at some of your favorite haunts… like Ventuno, Straight Wharf Restaurant, and The Club Car, all of which will be serving up holiday bites and bevvies to sustain you through your revelry. And of course, n Stroll is complete without a stop at Nautilus where, given their festive track-record, we have no doubt the staff will be in full holiday regalia and the porrons will be flowing.
• Did somebody say Prix Fixe… That’s right, Greydon House will be wowing diners this Stroll with a unique Stroll menu prepared by their Michelin-starred chef, Marcus Gleadow-Ware. So if poached lobster with a cognac sauce or bay scallops and oysters served raw with a yuzu citrus mignonette sounds up your alley, make your reservation and enjoy!
SHOP + STROLL
• Markets galore… From the St. Paul’s Christmas Market on Stroll Saturday (9:30 A.M. – 3 P.M.) to the annual Christmas Stroll Craft Show upstairs at 11 Centre Street (1 – 7 P.M. Friday and 9 A.M. – 5 P.M. Saturday), there is no shortage of opportunities to support local artisans and vendors as you cross people off your holiday shopping list. And don’t forget to venture out of town to 2 Chins Way for Island Kitchen and Nantucket blACKbook’s Happy Place Stroll Market (Saturday and Sunday, 9 A.M. – 3 P.M.) for shopping, music, libations and more!
• SALES… Grab your wallet and make your way to all of your favorite local shops where you’re likely to find special holiday deals sure to make Santa jealous. From dainty dresses at Milly & Grace to hip houseware at 28 Centre Pointe to dapper duds at Murray’s Toggery, every elf will no doubt find something they’ve been looking for.
• Old school Nantucket… Step back in history at the Nantucket Lightship Basket Museum and their annual Basket Festival. From 10 A.M. to 4 P.M. on Friday and Saturday, head over to 49 Union Street for weaving demonstrations, refreshments, and an artisan market showcasing local carvers, woodworkers, and more!