A living room designed by Kathleen Hay Design.
Sophisticated. Organic. Fresh. Hip. Sea Myst lives up to its design mandate: Create a house with an open plan in which a blended family can gather in luxurious comfort. The house is a subtle ode to its nautical setting. The interior is a symphony of neutrals whose luscious textures excite the senses. Added unexpected elements, like the champagne cork stools, bring a sense of whimsy and visual interest. The ample indoor and outdoor living areas allow for seamless entertaining of groups large and small with a living room that opens onto the adjacent terrace and pool beyond. We divided the large space into three distinct areas to allow for entertaining on different scales, and filled it with furnishings and objects that give nod to the beachy location. On any given summer evening, the house is abuzz with guests sharing food, wine and stories while admiring the view of the sea beyond.
1. Champagne Cork Stools that double as seats or footrests.
2. Pair of Chairs and Low Table for comfortable gathering in the bar area. Table is constructed of metal and concrete, an unexpected material pairing.
3. Full Bar for high-style entertaining complete with porthole mirrors and thickly-textured wall covering that speaks to the beachy setting.
4. Driftwood Center Table plays many roles, including entry table, buffet table when entertaining large groups, or a place to have an intimate dinner with a smaller group.
5. Rope Stools add texture to the neutral space and give a sense of place in this summer house.
6. Metal Chandelier was chosen for its sculptural quality. It sheds light without being an obtrusive visual stop to the view beyond.
7. Far end of the room is a destination with a generous Fireplace and TV, a cozy place to gather on cooler evenings or when the weather in inclement.
8. Square Grid Wall Paneling and a coffered ceiling were added to enhance the interior architecture.