Joseph Olson Interiors brings truly cool design to island homes.
When a family of six turned to Joe Olson of Joseph Olson Interiors to create a comfortable, inviting beach home where they could entertain and host friends and extended family, he set out to fuse classic Nantucket staples with modern decorative elements. Decoratively, color was the first building block to his approach. “Blue was a must for the client and the range of hues further underscores a relaxing getaway on Nantucket,” described Olson. He began creating relationships between some of the structural elements of the room with their choice of decor. “The geometric pattern of the rug was meant to reflect the combination coffer and bead board ceiling,” described Clay Twombly, Olson’s husband and now business partner, “together creating a beach-house warmth to the family living room.” Although traditional at its core, the decorative elements bring a modern, up-to-date bent to the classic Nantucket architecture of this airy space.
1. Classic architectural elements— such as coffer/bead board ceiling, traditional stair railing and the transom on the doorway—reflect the warmth and tradition of Nantucket.
2. Ikat fabric on the arm chairs provide a pop of both color and pattern in the room.
3. Outdoor fabrics on the sofas reflect a need for durability while retaining a look of luxe comfort.
4. The painting and artwork add a modern yet relaxed touch to the space.
6. A Waterworks brick tile backsplash installed fully to the ceiling with a dark grout gives a contemporary flair to a classic kitchen design.
7. A combination of large pendants over the island and smaller pendants on the perimeter counter add an eclectic mix to the kitchen lighting plan.
8. Joseph Olson Interiors custom designed and fabricated the kitchen hood specifically for the kitchen.
9. The client requested a wood island to add warmth, matched by open-wood shelves along the backsplash.