Chef Dan Shaw shares his recipe for za’atar halibut with local vegetables and seeded rice.
• 4 (6-8 ounce) portions halibut (skin off)
• 1 leek
• 1 zucchini
• 1 summer squash
• 2 cloves garlic
• 1 fresh lemon for juice
• Za’atar spice blend
1. In a cast-iron pan, heat a glug of extra-virgin olive oil. On medium heat, sauté the sliced leek, garlic, zucchini and summer squash for 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Pat dry the halibut and season with salt, pepper and a generous sprinkle of za’atar. Set aside.
3. Gently toss the spinach into the veggies. Add a generous pour of dry white wine and place the fish on top.
4. Place the uncovered pan in a 400 F oven for about 7 minutes or until the halibut is opaque.
5. Finish with a fresh squeeze of lemon and some flaky salt.
• Extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 cup jasmine rice
• 1 teaspoon each, cumin seed, coriander seed, fennel seed, sesame seed, yellow mustard seed, powdered turmeric
• 1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
• Sprig of fresh thyme
• 1 lemon for zesting
1. In a pot combine 2 tablespoons of olive oil and all the seeds. Turn the heat on low and gently toast the seeds until the mustard seeds pop and become fragrant.
2. Add the rice and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper and the powdered turmeric. Pour the stock into the pot along with the sprig of fresh thyme and bring to a boil. Reduce to a very low bubble, cover and cook gently until the liquid is gone.
3. When the rice is tender, gently fluff with a fork or chopsticks and zest in one whole lemon.
4. Serve the halibut and veggies over the rice and drizzle any pan sauce that remains. Bon appétit!
After graduating from the Culinary Institute of America, Hyde Park campus in 2014, Chef Dan Shaw came straight to Nantucket and worked his way around some of the island’s finest restaurants including Topper’s at the Wauwinet, Oran Mor Bistro and the Club Car. With experience ranging from bakeries in Italy to the Michelin-starred restaurant Le Gavroche in London, Chef Dan now offers private chef and catering services. Learn more at chefdanshaw.com.