The Proprietors Chef Michael LaScola’s recipe for red lentil falafel.
• 1 cup red lentils (soak in water overnight)
• 2 tablespoons chickpea flour
• 1 red onion, finely diced
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 teaspoon turmeric
• 1 tablespoon ginger, freshly minced
• 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
• 1/2 teaspoon cumin
• 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 lemon juiced
• 1 tablespoon parsley, finely chopped
• 1 bunch green onion, finely sliced
• 1/2 large cucumber, thinly sliced
• 1/2 teaspoon sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon sumac
• 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt
• 1/2 cup mint leaves
• 1 tablespoon harissa
1. Add red onion, garlic, turmeric, ginger, chili powder, cumin, black pepper, salt, olive oil and lemon juice in a food processor and pulse until roughly pureed.
2. Add drained lentils to mixture in food processor and pulse until a rough puree. Add the chickpea flour and pulse until combined. Place mixture in a medium-size bowl and mix in parsley and green onion.
3. In a larger pot, add frying oil halfway up the side of the pot and heat until the temperature of the oil reaches 350 F.
4. Using a 1 1/2-inch scoop, carefully form falafel mix into balls and gently add to oil. Fry for about 6 minutes or until the dough is cooked through. (You may need to test one to determine time to allow for cooking.) Remove cooked falafel from the oil and drain on paper towels.
5. Serve immediately with marinated cucumbers, sumac, yogurt, mint and harissa.